How to Stay on Track Over the Weekend
It’s the end of the week and your meals and workouts have been on point. You’re feeling so strong and like nothing can slow you down. But then the weekend hits and by Sunday night you’re wondering how you’ll ever get back on track after overeating and drinking too many sugary cocktails. Sigh. Who can relate?
We all can!
But here’s the good news: you can (mostly) maintain your healthy habits over the weekend without feeling deprived or like you need to turn down every social invitation. Here are our 5 best tips to help you stay on track over the weekend:
TIP #1: EMBRACE THE 80/20 LIFESTYLE.
Embracing the 80/20 method — where you eat healthy 80% of the time, and enjoy a treat the other 20% of the time — is key. This lifestyle gives you wiggle room to enjoy the foods and drinks you love over the weekend. It allows you to truly live in the moment, enjoy your treat, and get right back on track.
Make an agreement with yourself to fully enjoy whatever it is you want to eat or drink in the moment, but be aware that eating healthy is what will benefit you and your overall wellbeing over the long run. As Anna says, it’s all about making decisions that will allow you to feel your best in the long term versus the short term.”
TRY THE FIT BODY APP FREE FOR 7 DAYS! DOWNLOAD NOW.
TIP #2: PRIORITIZE PROTEIN INTAKE.
You girls already know the importance of protein. It’s even more important as a tool to help you stay on track over the weekend! Studies show that protein is the most filling macronutrient, which can help you eat more mindfully throughout the rest of your meal. When dining out, that means you order what you want but plan to include a protein-rich option. For example, start your meal with a shrimp cocktail or pair your pasta order with a side of grilled chicken.
Pro Tip from Anna: Eat your protein and veggies first! This will guarantee you get a balanced macronutrient meal and prevent you from loading up on the goodies, carbs and fats, first and then not have any room left for protein or veggies.
TIP #3: KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR PORTIONS.
Have you ever said you yourself, "I eat in a calorie deficit MOST days, why am I not making progress?!" It’s important to understand how just a couple days of indulging can impact your weekly caloric average. Sometimes, we assume that we’re eating in a caloric deficit because most days we’re compliant with our macros, but that weekly average can be easily derailed by a couple of off-track days. For some, the weekend may even start on a Friday night and go through Sunday night, which could easily put you in a caloric surplus over time.
Making small adjustments to your food choices can help you achieve your average calorie intake. For example, most restaurant portion sizes are huge — it’s a fact. But this doesn’t mean you have to decline an invitation to eat out with your best girls! Once you understand what constitutes a serving size, you can set a portion boundary for your meal.
You can always request a to-go box and take part of your meal home as well. This is a great option if you still have a lot of food left over after you’ve had your set serving. Don’t feel pressured to clean your plate just for the sake of it! Eat what you need and take the rest home for later.
TIP #4: DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
Enjoying a delicious meal at a restaurant can lead to bloating due to high levels of sodium. You can still enjoy meals out at your favorite restaurants, just make sure to drink lots of water during and after your meal.
While it may temporarily make you feel more bloated, it’ll help you better digest your food and flush out the sodium, which help reduce bloat. Continue to prioritize water intake the next day, too.
TIP #5: DON’T FEEL PRESSURED TO EAT OR DRINK!
At the end of the day, you shouldn’t feel pressured into eating or drinking when you don’t feel like it! We know a lot of social events involve food but it’s totally fine to go and simply hang out even if you don’t feel like eating.
Listen to your body and don’t eat for the sake of it, or feel pressured to just because all your friends are chowing down. We know #FOMO is real but trust us, it’s OK to sit it out if you aren’t feeling it!
Now, take a deep breath. You’ve got this, girl! We hope these tips help you enjoy your weekends in a mindful yet fun way that doesn’t compromise your fitness and nutrition goals.
And remember, you get free consultations and access to the Fit Body Registered Dietitian included with your membership. Sign up today and email us for personalized nutrition support at firstname.lastname@example.org.